It is human nature to desire an aesthetically captivating smile that can help motivate you and boost your confidence. This also helps to enhance your social interaction. However, sometimes you may suffer from tooth discoloration due to several reasons.
Yelena Simkha DDS offers state-of-the-art teeth whitening through Zoom technology, giving you an aesthetically satisfactory smile.
Causes of tooth discoloration
Aging is considered the most common cause of tooth discoloration. As you age, your tooth enamel wears away, exposing the underlying dentin which gives a discolored appearance to your teeth.
Other possible causes include:
- Eating tooth-staining foods like berries or tomatoes
- Drinking beverages like soda, tea, coffee, and wine
- Certain medications such as tetracycline
- Tobacco use
- Dental trauma that can crack or chip away your teeth exposing the dentin beneath
- Improper brushing and flossing
Understanding the science behind teeth whitening
The process of lightening the color of severely stained or discolored teeth is known as teeth whitening or teeth bleaching.
Hydrogen peroxide is the most commonly used active ingredient in Philips Zoom teeth whitening system. When applied to the teeth surface, it gets activated by a mercury metal halide light.
This light consists of a unique infrared filter that reduces the amount of heat and sensitivity on the tooth surface during the procedure.
The hydrogen peroxide gel when activated oxidizes into tiny oxygen bubbles that are responsible for eliminating the stains on your teeth.
Zoom teeth whitening procedure
Philips Zoom teeth whitening procedure is an in-office treatment that takes less than an hour.
- Your mouth is cleaned thoroughly and your teeth and gums are isolated using a rubber dam.
- Your dentist will apply hydrogen peroxide gel on your teeth that are stained.
- A halide or UV (ultraviolet) light is targeted on the gel. This activates the gel to break down into oxygen bubbles that eliminate the stain buildup.
- The above steps are repeated till the desired results are achieved.
Zoom teeth whitening results
Results post Zoom teeth whitening depends on the aftercare oral habits. The results last 3 to 4 months or longer.
- It is crucial to brush your teeth twice daily, floss regularly, and visit your dentist every 6 months
- Quit habits like smoking and tobacco use
- If you need to drink coffee or soda, use a straw to minimize the risk of staining
There is no reason to be ashamed of your smile now, thanks to teeth whitening treatments. These can be performed in-office or at-home through various whitening systems.
However, the Zoom teeth whitening system is gaining momentum due to its increased effectiveness and long-lasting results.