Your smile plays a vital role in your facial appearance and, ultimately, how you feel about yourself. Having a great smile is a great morale booster and hugely contributes to your levels of self-esteem and self-confidence. The dental industry has grown fundamentally in recent years. This can be attributed to the advancements in technology that have enabled ample research into various dental issues and newer ways to deal with them. If you are searching for an orthodontist in Flushing, NY, read on to learn about the topic and what it is all about.
What is meant by Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a medical profession that deals with specialists trained in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of facial and dental issues. These professionals provide various treatment options for problems like fixing bad bites, straightening crooked teeth, and aligning the jaws appropriately.
The conditions for becoming an orthodontist involve first completing a five-year degree in dentistry. This is followed by three years of full-time study specializing in orthodontics.
Orthodontics is mainly associated with teeth straightening issues. However, they may also deal with problems such as:
· Painful and misaligned bites
· Movement of teeth due to terrible habits like sucking your thumb
· Some types of sleep apnea
The difference between a dentist and an orthodontist
Dentists and orthodontists have many similar roles as they both work in unison to enable you to better your overall oral health. They, however, work in very different ways.
Dentists usually cover a wide range of oral health issues. However, an orthodontist is a dental specialist with a single aim, i.e., aligning and straightening jaws.
Some significant characteristics that differentiate dentists and orthodontists are as follows:
· They complete a general dental degree
· Dentists are similar to family medical doctors in that they are very skilled professionals who can diagnose and treat issues and typical diseases affecting your mouth, teeth, and gums
· Dentists are not trained in colleges to fit braces or oversee other orthodontic treatments, unlike orthodontics
· Dentists are experts in maintenance and general dental care. They can also perform cosmetic dental operations like porcelain veneers, tooth whitening, and crowns
· Many dentists refer patients who need orthodontic care to specialist orthodontists
· They are dental developments and facial growth experts. They diagnose and treat bad bites, crooked teeth, and poorly aligned jaws
· Orthodontists are specialist dental professionals who have gone through an extra three years of full-time orthodontic training in fields like biology and biomechanics, and facial growth and development
· They are experts in all orthodontic care fields and technologies for teens, children, and adults
Orthodontists help you understand and determine which available treatment options are most suitable as they have vast expertise and knowledge in tooth movements and facial irregularities.
Orthodontists’ treatment options include metal braces, lingual braces, ceramic braces, clear aligners, and fixed and removable plates. Every dental case is different; therefore, you should discuss the best course of treatment with your orthodontist.
Orthodontists are especially renowned for dealing with children’s problems as they are the ones who mainly require teeth alignment and fixing braces so their teeth may fit well as they grow older. Go through our website or visit our offices in Flushing, NY, to book a consultation.