When it comes to gaining weight, then eating healthy snacks is the right way to do it. In order to achieve those much-needed kilos opt for a snack that is high in protein, healthy unsaturated fats, carbohydrates, and calories. If you are tracking your calories, then make sure you consume more than the recommended. Soon you will achieve a healthy weight gain.
Choosing the right snack not only helps you to gain weight but also develop a habit of healthy eating. Try to include canola oil, olive oil, ghee, or peanut butter in food. Also, your drinks should contain only natural sugars. Apart from having 3 square meals, have healthy snacks in between.
Here is the list of some of the best snack ideas that can help you in gaining weight in a healthy way.
It is one of the most popular Indian snacks from Gujarat. It is made using rice batter and fermented chickpeas. Dhokla can be eaten for a light breakfast or as a snack. What makes it healthy for weight gain is that single serving gives you 283 calories, zero cholesterol and 11 grams of protein. Apart from this, it is also a good source of calcium, magnesium, and iron.
Everyone loves to have sandwiches. You can make a healthy version of the sandwich by including curd and some fresh vegetables like grated bell peppers, onions, cabbage, carrots, and fresh coriander. You can also add some cheese to it and make sure to choose whole wheat bread slices. This delicious snap contains a good amount of proteins high in fibre, vitamin A, C, iron, and calcium.
It is a steamed delicacy from South India and can be consumed as a breakfast or lunch item and as a snack as well. These are made from urad dal, and fermented rice batter, you can also make them from oatmeal, ragi, semolina, etc. Single idli gives you 8 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of protein. It also provides calcium and iron.
Samosa exists in many forms, and this delicious snack is mostly available in the fried version. But you can opt for its healthy version that is baked samosa. It will not only satisfy your cravings but also helps in healthy weight gain. All you need is whole wheat dough, peas and potato stuffing that will give you plenty of Vitamin C. Besides this, you can also try other stuffing options like minced paneer, chicken or paneer with mixed vegetables.
Some other healthy snack options that you can have easily with less preparation are:
- Nuts – A snack that is easily accessible and has many nutritional benefits. From almonds to pistachios to cashews to macadamia, and walnuts, there is a nut to suit everyone’s taste buds. These are high in good fats and protein. So, include a handful of nuts to not only satisfy your hunger at odd hours.
- Fruit salad/vegetable salad – You can prepare a fruit chat or vegetable salad at home with some chat masala. Fruits and vegetables are a perfect source of micronutrients and fiber that is not only beneficial for your gut health but overall health too.
- Makhana – Makhanas are a perfect evening snack choice as they are loaded with protein, and other nutrients. They are easily available in the market. Roast them dry in a pan using ghee and sprinkle some paprika and salt to make it a mouth-watering snack.
- Sprouts – Sprouts are a good source of protein, iron, potassium and fiber that provide satiety for long.
Things not to do during weight gaining process
Do not eat junk food. Munching on donuts, candies, sodas, chips, will lead to unhealthy weight gain. Most of the weight will end up around your belly, which can increase the risk for heart disease and diabetes. Instead, eat healthy snacks mentioned above for healthy weight gain and great muscles.
Helpful tips for gaining weight
- Don’t drink water 30 minutes before your meal to avoid feeling full.
- Opt for beverages that add calories like juice, weight gainer smoothies, shakes, whole milk rather than Black tea, coffee, diet beverages that contain no calories.
- Add condiments whenever you can. For instance, top your food with honey, seeds, nuts, cheese, and fruits. Prepare your food with coconut oil, ghee, or olive oil to add calories.
- Instead of cereals have oats, and include protein foods like eggs, cheese, tofu in your breakfast.
- If you are vegan, vegetarian, or lactose-intolerant, use almond, coconut, soy, or rice milk, tofu, olives, avocado, nut or seed butter to add calories.
- If you prefer not to cook, stock up on cottage cheese, protein bars, granola bars, banana chips, ragi or nachni chips, nuts, sunflower seeds, nut butter, and makhana.
What is your favourite snack option? Feel free to share with us in the comments section below.